UPSC Civil services aspirants are generally advised to start with NCERT for the UPSC preparation. These books should be read before other standard reference books. The reason is very simple and clear – because they help in building a strong foundation. Even, the previous years’ question papers analysis underscores the importance of NCERT for UPSC. It is clearly mentioned in the analysis that questions are consistently asked directly or indirectly from NCERT books.
Moreover, NCERT books offer concise coverage of most of the topics which are mentioned in the UPSC Civil Services Syllabus. In short, anyone aspiring to crack the UPSC IAS exam, must thoroughly go through the NCERT books. They provide a very strong foundation for kick starting your UPSC preparation!
Why to start preparing from NCERT Books?
- Simple to understand the basic concepts clearly.
- The tables are easy to memorize the facts.
- The contents are highly reliable.
How to read NCERT for UPSC?
There is no one way to read NCERTs for UPSC. You can adopt any of the approaches that you deem fit and start with your UPSC preparation.
- You can choose any subject first and then, start from class 6 to 12 for that particular subject book. However, according to the weightage and simplicity of the syllabus, it is best to start with Indian Polity NCERT books for UPSC.
- In your first reading, try to understand the basic concepts, and then in the second reading, you can make your own notes.
- You can also skip the note-making process of NCERT books for UPSC. Just supplement your NCERT reading with the CL-NCERT compilations and make necessary notes right there. In that case, you’ll have succinct NCERT revision notes ready with you for multiple revisions!
- Generally, for history, the old NCERT books are recommended and, for geography, new ones. However, our NCERT compilations are in tune with the UPSC preparation needs. So, even if you are not able to get the NCERT books for UPSC, you can rely on these.
- Once you’ve curated the list of books, then prepare a time schedule to finish your NCERTs reading in about 2-months time. It is imperative to understand the NCERTs are the basic foundational books that are a must-read. However, make sure to finish at least two readings of NCERT books for UPSC in 2 months’ time
If you want to avoid the confusion of old and new NCERTs, then you can go with the VNK IAS Academy’s NCERTs Compilation. We provide you with a compilation of OLD and NEW NCERTs; it will help you and provide a clear pathway for your preparation.
With a deep focus on strengthening the very basic roots of preparation for UPSC exam, VNK IAS Academy has planned a separate NCERT Batch program for graduates aspiring to become the future civil servants. All such aspirants can enroll in our foundational NCERT program that will help you kickstart your preparation for this prestigious exam. Once you’ve read all the NCERT for UPSC, you can write NCERT-centered mock tests to assess your performance.